Flowers Fade... One Woman's Walk through the Word

3.13.2010

The Marriage Supper of the Lamb

I am wrapping up my time in the Pentateuch - getting into Deuteronomy now - and I want to reflect back on  my journey through Exodus, Leviticus, and Numbers. I admitted last time that I found myself growing bored with reading about the different sacrficial requirements over and over again - but I also found myself dwelling on one important idea - hospitality...

What was the point of the sacrificial offerings? I understand the killing of the ram, goat, lamb, etc. as the blood was needed to atone for sin ("for the wages of sin is death" - Romans 6:23), but why bring all this grain and oil to God along with the animal, when he doesn't need any of it? He is God. He doesn't have the human need for food. Some of the reasons for these food offerings are obvious. First, a portion of most offerings (both money and food offerings - except the burnt offering) was given to the priests. This was their livlihood and their payment for serving God in the tabernacle instead of working the land, tending the animals, and going to war, as with the other tribes. Second, the giving away of the firstfruits to the Lord shows humble, thankful recognition that he was the one providing everything necessary to sustain the Israelites in the wilderness. By giving back a portion of the harvest, the giver acknowledges God as the ultimate creator, gift-giver, and provider of every good thing (James 1:17). This is the same idea behind tithing in God's church - we thankfully and humbly give back to him what is already his in the firstplace, and acknowledge that everything we have is a gift from Him.

Thanks to the good ol' ESV Study Bible footnotes, I realized, while reading through this portion of Scripture again, another reason for the offerings of grain and oil . Even though the Lord didn't actually eat the food presented, the offering of it symbolized meeting with the Lord for a meal. Just as we invite friends over for dinner, and host them by offering food and drink, sharing our shelter with them, and giving them our time and devotion, in an effort to love and serve them, so did the offerings represent hosting the Lord for a meal. The Israelites gave their food, and the priests prepared a meal for the Lord as if to say, "Lord, you are an honored guest. We give you our food, our time; meet us for a meal, so we may serve and love you."

Clearly, the idea of sharing a meal with the Lord has implications that relate to my own life. I no longer have to offer grain and oil to be near to the presence of God (thanks to Jesus, my forever intercessor! My grain offering would probably have to be Kashi cereal or something anyway...), but I have to ask myself, "Is God an honored guest in my life?" Do I invite him into every area of my life, to dwell with me, to live in community with me? Is he honored as I would treat a guest in my home? Do I make time for him, prepare a good meal for him? That's not to say that my faith is about what I do. I don't have to spend all my time DOING specific little tasks for God to draw near to me - but is my heart at a place where God is honored in my life? Do I give him the time, attention, love, and service of which he is more than worthy?  I want to welcome Him in. Love him. Serve him.

And what about my heart toward others? Do I honor the people around me? Do I love them? Serve them? Open my home to them? Feed them? How can I cultivate hospitality in my own heart (by the grace of God's Spirit) that I may honor and serve others, as well as God? Lord, increase in me the spirit of hospitality. Help me to honor you in my life as I would a guest in my home. Help me to love others with the love You have showered upon me. After all, it is You who has promised to invite us, Your children, to feast with You at Your banqueting table for all of eternity (Revelation 19:9). May my lifestyle on Earth foreshadow that eternal feast!

No comments:

Post a Comment