Flowers Fade... One Woman's Walk through the Word

4.21.2011

Being a Gospel Wife

It's funny how in marriage God really uses your spouse to balance you out... In marriage you learn to humbly accept your husband's conviction when you are slacking in godliness, while at the same time you learn to be bold and loving in calling your husband out when you see an area where he is not applying God's truth to his own life. Micah and I do this all the time. I will gently remind him that he is not entitled to certain things in life - relationships, promotions, money, what have you. That he should rejoice in suffering and live for God's glory, not his own. At the same time, Micah will lovingly remind me to be thankful in the midst of any circumstance. He will convict me of worry and encourage me to trust God's plan when my own plan is not working out (which usually means God is hindering my own foolish planning to show me something far better).

I will leave you with an encouraging pasage I just read from Carolyn Mahaney's blog and her current series on marriage:

Hopefully our husband does encourage us to pursue a deeper knowledge of God, but we are not dependent on our husband to grow spiritually. We are accountable before God to seek His face and obey His Word. Remember, when it comes to the grace of life, we are heirs with--and not under--our husband (1 Pet. 3:7).
 
In order to be a gospel wife, we must be rooted in God's Word.
This means we must be avid students of Scripture, regardless of our husband's spiritual pursuit. We should daily dig into the Bible, regularly read good books, and eagerly absorb and apply our pastor's teaching. We shouldn't assume that deep theological study is only for the men. Neither should we try to hide our own lack of spiritual growth behind our husband's lack of leadership.



No comments:

Post a Comment