Flowers Fade... One Woman's Walk through the Word

4.10.2010

Rejection and Royalty

As I was reading I Samuel last night, I was struck by a clear theme that stretches from the Old to New Testaments...and even applies to life today. Although Samuel was a great and holy judge of Israel, the Israelite people decide they want a king "like all the nations" (I Sam. 8:5) around them. Despite Samuel's warnings, they insist on converting from their judge system to a monarchy. Samuel is somewhat forlorn and possibly hurt by their stubborn insistence, but the Lord reminds him "they have not rejected you, but they have rejected me from being king over them." The Lord then tells Samuel to fulfill their request for a king even though it shows their hardness of heart. This reminds me of another verse in the New Testament, John 15:18: "If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you." Jesus is reminding his disciples that any rejection, persecution, or hatred they experience is not really directly toward them, but it is a result of those whose hearts are hardened against the Lord. Jesus offers words of comfort here, just as God comforted Samuel, reminding him that ultimately he is not being rejected as a judge, but the Lord is being rejected as king of Israel.

And why reject the King of Kings? All because Israel wants what the other nations around them have...an earthly king. How often in my own life do I desire and plea for the things I see around me that seem good at the time? How often do I insist on pursuing those desires even when I know that acquiring them might not be for the best? Why do I chase after things that may put a wedge between me and the Lord? Yet, the Lord is still faithful. Even though a king was not in Israel's best interest at the time... their folly led to the Lord's providence in sending David to the throne, which began the royal road to Jesus, our eternal King!

No comments:

Post a Comment