Flowers Fade... One Woman's Walk through the Word

4.08.2010

Ruth - A Worthy Woman

The story of Ruth has always had a special place in my heart. It was one of my very favorite Bible stories growing up and, even yesterday, I woke up eager to complete my Bible reading for the day, because I knew that the whole book of Ruth was on the agenda.

Many people love the story of Ruth, and yesterday I learned why the story itself is so charming. First of all (enter English major nerdiness), I learned that the book of Ruth is an idyll, meaning a brief story describing an event in rural, domestic life. Basically, Ruth a simple romance about common people from Bethlehem. Secondly, the main theme of Ruth is kindness, shown through both the young widow who lovingly follows and provides for her mother-in-law in a foreign land, and through the kindness of a Godly, middle-aged man, Boaz, who protects, provides for, and eventually redeems the same poor, young widow. This small story is tucked into the middle of books chronicling tumultous times in Israel (Judges and I Samuel) where "everyone did what was right in his own eyes" (Judges 21:25) and the volatile establishment of a monarchy in Israel (Saul and David). The placement of Ruth shows that the Lord's will and kindness will always prevail despite earthly sin and circumstances.

Although the beginning of Ruth's story is very bleak, as she is childless, widowed, and living with her "bitter" mother-in-law, the resolution shows that God reigns. He is good, kind, and has a plan to bless those who are faithful to him. Despite her hardship, Ruth is one of the few women named as being a part of the ancestral line of Jesus. She is the great-grandmother of King David himself!

Micah and I are beginning to plan out the details of our wedding ceremony, which is only three months away! I have always wanted my vows to my husband to include Ruth's pledge of faithfulness to Naomi, "...where you go, I will go...your people shall be my people, and your God my God..." (Ruth 1:16). My prayer is that even in the tumultous times of today, which just as in the times of the judges, it seems that everyone just does "what is right in his own eyes" with no regard for the Lord or His commandments, my marriage with Micah will be a light in the darkness. My prayer is that by God's grace, the faithfulness and obedience in my marriage will be a simple, sweet story of God's love and kindness despite the sinful, circumstances of the world today.

1 comment:

  1. Jen, what a beautiful blog. Ruth is one of my favorite stories, too. The first exposure I had to it was in watching the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes" as a child - in it, Ruth sends Idgie and her mother a page from her bible and on the page she underlines that very passage (Ruth 1:16). I loved the line then, but now that I'm a Christian and have read the book and understand the context, I'm just that much more in love with the story and Ruth herself.
    I love that you're planning on using that verse in your vows - what a wonderful way to stay Christ-centered in your verbal committment to your husband. These are the bricks and mortar that are building the house of your marriage - something tangible that the two of you can turn to time and again throughout the course of your life together.
    And thank you for your English major nerdiness - it warms my geeky little heart. :-)

    ReplyDelete