Flowers Fade... One Woman's Walk through the Word

6.01.2010

Reflection #4 - A word quickly read is quickly lost....

So I am struggling through the reading of Proverbs a bit, simply because it takes me SO long to read each chapter. The current plan has me reading about three chapters per day on average, but it is taking me close to 20 minutes to read one chapter because there are so many notes to read after each verse. What I am learning is that the Proverbs are not disconnected tidbits of wisdom. They follow a few larger themes (wisdom, fear of the Lord, the difference between the wise, the simple, and the scoffers, God's will is useful, practical, happy, etc.) and sometimes a specific chapter will focus in on a more specific motif, even though the verses may seem somewhat sporadic. My study notes will often say: verses 1-9 focus on _________," but then each individual verse/proverb will be explained as well. Basically I get the meaning of the Scripture on a micro and macro level. It's awesome because I am learning a lot and it really unifies the ideas in Proverbs for me, but it also takes my futile little mind a long time to read each chapter. First, I have to try to read the verses without getting all scattered and distracted, and then for each section I have to read the micro level notes and the macro level notes. Basically, I should probably stop blogging and get to reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment