Flowers Fade... One Woman's Walk through the Word

6.07.2010

Tidbits of Wisdom (not my own)

In the past few days, I have read through all of Song of Solomon and Ecclesiastes. Both are short books, but are comprised of a lot of information to pack into my feeble brain in just four or five days of reading. Instead of picking one theme or topic on which to write, I am going to touch on a few different themes covered by the wisdom writer(s) - possibly Solomon, possibly someone else I have learned from my studies...

Love - Clearly the book Song of Solomon is about love and specifically the anticipation of sexual love in marriage. With my wedding now less than five weeks away, this is clearly a very timely topic for me. I am in the same exact season of life as the betrothed couple speaking in the poem. It was refreshing and almost convicting to read of their godly yearning for one another, and to be encouraged that the sweetness of marriage at the end of the waiting period is so soon to arrive in my own life. Also, the refrain throughout the poem, warning the daughters of Jerusalem to "not stir up or awaken love until it pleases" (SS 2:7) was a comforting reminder that God has a different timeline of love for everybody. Micah and I have a fairly long, drawn out love story. Other people have quick stories of almost instant engagement and marriage. However, each love story is ordained by God and set in motion by His loving hand. We, His children, are to be obedient to wait on His plan, not making a relationship an idol and protecting our purity until the consumation of marriage.

Contentment - The book of Ecclesiastes is so quirky if you ask me. Upon first reading, it seems like the writer is simply the biggest pessimist in the entire world. His constant refrain "All is vanity..." (Ecc. 1:2), can get grating and almost depressing after awhile. However, upon deeper reading, one can see the truth behind his claim and also a hopeful view, despite the raw fact that the world is fleeting. This guy is in the wisdom books for a reason. Despite the truth that the earth is fleeting, that the things of this world are vanity, and that death is imminent, the writer offers great hope and comfort to the reader. The truth of the matter is that God is God and worthy of our reverant fear and our obedience, and despite our sin He has given us many blessings in this depraved world. The wisdom writer urgues us to "eat and drink and find enjoyment in all the toil which one toils" in the few days of life God has given us on this earth. Instead of being greedy on the one hand, or disgruntled and resentful on the other, we should see each day (whether a day of prosperity or adversity) as a blessing from God and be contented with what God has give us. Contentment is such a simple gift that I am so quick to deny, because I want some new thing or want to change my circumstances in some way. I hope the Holy Spirit will dwell richly within me to constantly teach me to be content with the circumstances and gifts God has given me now, instead of always wanting something more or something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment