Flowers Fade... One Woman's Walk through the Word

11.30.2010

Adoption

"For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry 'Abba! Father!' The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs - heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him."
--Romans 8:15-17--

Adoption is one of the most beautiful pictures of God's grace on this earth, because as Gentile believers we are truly adopted into God's family. I love the verse above. We are God's precious children. Christ is our big brother, and someday we will be heirs with him in heaven. Although I was not originally a part of God's family, he chose to make me his very own. He chose to graft me into the best family tree there is. The family tree of GOD. And Jesus is my big brother. I love that. I've never had an older sibling. I am the oldest in my family, and while I like being the oldest, I also have always wondered what it would be like to have a big brother to love me and protect me, the way big brothers are prone to do. But Romans 8:29 says that Jesus is the "firstborn among many brothers." But I'm pretty sure he has little sisters too.

Micah and I want to adopt children someday. I mean, nothing is set in stone. Maybe we'll have our own kids. Maybe we'll adopt some or all of our children. Maybe we won't have kids. Only the Lord knows what tomorrow will bring. But, trusting that the Lord is sovereign, Micah and I are interested in adopting in the future. There is no better way to show Christ to a child then to bring him or her into your own family, because that is excactly what God has done for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment