Flowers Fade... One Woman's Walk through the Word

1.09.2010

Genesis 1-5: Adam and Eve

This New Year of Bible reading got started with an interesting twist, because I got engaged on midnight of New Year's 2010. I started my Bible reading the next day, and it was interesting to read about Adam and Eve and the Fall through "engaged" eyes, if you will. Bascially meaning, I went into it thinking, "what can I learn about marraige from the first ever marriage, created by God himself?" The most interesting thing I learned about was how God's command to Adam to "work and keep" the Garden (Gen. 2:15) relates directly to Adam's role in marriage. Adam's job was to grow and guard the garden, and involved leadership over all the animals, vegitation, etc. When God then created Eve, his wife, he was then responsible for growing and guarding her as well. This becomes every married man's job - to grow and nurture his wife (as with a plant) in order that she will produce God-glorifying fruit AND to guard her from evil and harm. Whoa. Micah has a big job before him.

But don't think I could read the story of Adam and Eve without being convicted myself. It would be nice to think that Micah will have the hard job of growing and guarding and that I'm just along for the ride. However, I know that the curse for Eve's sin (and my own) is before me: "Your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you." (Gen. 3:16). I know that I will always have to battle self in submitting to and serving Micah. My sinful nature will want control in situations instead of lovingly and obediently letting Micah take control, as he is called to by God.

But then again, Micah will have to battle the sinful desire in those situtations to "rule" instead of lead. Because of the Fall, women want control when they are not supposed to have it, and men tend to either be cowardly and not take control or, conversely, rule harshly instead of leading with love.

By the grace of God, Micah and I can walk this road of marriage together for the glory of God. I am still so excited to get married, but my first day of reading God's Word put my excitement in a Godly context right away. Marriage is a beautiful calling, but it's not necessarily an easy one. I look forward to growing by the grace of God in my future marriage, and watching Micah grow as well, as we both seek to know and be like Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment